Monday, March 8, 2010

Blog Stage 2

According to an article I read in The Austin American Statesman, West Campus may lose 400 of their free parking spaces to meters or other permitted spaces. The city is hoping to use most of the revenue they receive off the meters to help pay off meters and improve the lighting and sidewalks. The city feels like this is the best way to stop people from leaving their cars there for days and days. Parking is already an issue in the downtown area. One reason the city is wanting these spaces is some people are worried about cars being parked in the same spot for days. Of course there is good and bad out of every situation. Having the spots metered would encourage more walking and being more "eco friendly." Also another issue pointed out in this article is that because the spots are on campus and parking is already tight the neighborhoods are going to have overflow from a lot of students trying to find the free spaces.
This article caught my eye because I know how bad parking is already at my campus downtown, I can only image over near West campus. I feel like this could go either way, I know that nothing is worse than having a parking pass and having no where to park and having to pay additional money at the meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment