Sunday, April 18, 2010

"WIC"

So, anybody following my blogs probably knows where I stand on the fact of government assistance programs. I definitely don’t disagree with the program called “Women, Infants, and Children” or WIC. Life is unpredictable and it can get pretty tough at times especially if you don’t have support to begin with. My mom actually received WIC when she had my sister and I at a very young age, when she was stuck and no one to turn to that could help her out. However, she used it as a stepping stool for a year until she could get back on the right track. This is an ongoing issue around the United States but I think it’s especially important in Texas. Based on the demographics of the population in Texas I see this as a major issue.

I think there should be limitations on the program because there are a lot of people who get it and settle, they don’t learn their lesson the first time and receive more welfare the more children they have. First things first if you live in the US and can’t speak English you should not be eligible for any government welfare. How do we let people get by living their entire lives here and not ever being required to learn how to speak English but yet living from the support of taxpayers? That is seeming to not matter in the state of Texas. I searched for the Texas WIC official website and surprisingly enough when I got to the main page everything was in English and Spanish. Out of curiosity I searched for a couple other states WIC home page and it’s funny how they were only in English as they should be. Immigrants come here and get better benefits than our own citizens and they don’t even pay taxes! Of course we don’t want to see sick or hungry children but Texas needs some kind of firm structure because children don’t deserve to grow that way but we as taxpayers don’t deserve to be abused by people who do nothing and have a million kids. Our government is going broke due to people just lying around having children knowing the government will bail them out. If you can’t afford even one child stop having them!

I can almost bet most of those people have cell phone and or cable as well as Jordan‘s for their kids. WIC is there to help in times of crisis if you find yourself in need use it that’s what its there for. But I can say that after living in Texas I see a pattern, most of the people aren’t using it for assistance while they better their lives, their having multiple amounts of children when they couldn’t even take care one in the first place. They are staying on the welfare and doing nothing because they know the government will be there to help, maybe this is one reason Texas is ranking among the lowest of the states?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This subject is of particular interest to me having been a part of the program a couple of years ago. WIC stands for Women, Infants, and Children and provides basic necessities for pregnant women, newborn babies, and children of low income families. Members of the program must apply and meet certain eligibility requirements. Once part of the program you receive and electronic card that enables you to purchase items such as milk, eggs, cheese, formula, beans, juice, cereal, and peanut butter free of charge.

    I agree with Kailey that these types of programs are taken advantage of. I like how she makes a point to say that these programs are designed to help people get back on their feet and promote self reliance. She illustrates this well by explaining that her Mother used this assistance with her sister as a “stepping stone” in order to get back on track. That is exactly what I did when I had my daughter. I used the assistance when I needed it and declined assistance when I could manage on my own. However, the main problem is that most people don’t use the program this way.

    I have seen first hand what Kailey is talking about when she explains that Texas (more so than other states) accommodates Spanish speakers. One of the main reasons for this is obviously the fact that Texas borders Mexico which results in a larger number of Spanish speaking immigrants. Because of the ever-growing population of Spanish speakers it becomes troublesome to ignore the fact that there are also growing numbers of non-English speakers. I do disagree with Kailey that the same benefits should not be made available to non-English speakers. Just because someone doesn’t speak English does not mean that they are not citizens. On the same note, if an illegal immigrant comes to Texas and gives birth to a child on U.S. soil, that child is automatically a citizen regardless of their parent’s legal status. This, in my opinion, is not so fair. I can testify to waiting in the WIC office and being the only white English speaker in sight. I can almost guarantee that next to none of the parents that I saw were legal. This is where the problem is. Where do we draw the line? The child didn’t ask to be put in this position; however, the parents know that even though they are not citizens that their child is entitled to government benefits. This is where I completely agree with Kailey. These parents are non-taxpaying illegal immigrants that are not contributing to the system but through a loophole are able to reap the benefits with out paying so much as a dime.

    Overall I enjoyed the blog and was able to relate to this issue. Something needs to be done, but what? This issue is somewhat of a snowball effect that keeps getting larger and moving faster as time goes on. There are small technicalities that need to be addressed and loopholes that should be closed without having starving children on the street. Perhaps tax Mexico for these instances? Who knows?

    ReplyDelete